7.01.2013

Bits and bobs, or, Where we've been

 Wicked
Wicked returns to Chicago this fall, but with so many plays, concerts, meets, and college visits already clamoring for spots on the calendar, I thought, Gosh, I sure wish we could see it this summer. So we drove up to Milwaukee to catch the tour there. What a show! Review and related article here and here.

Summer swim season
The Misses, who attended swim camp earlier this summer, have been competing in long course USA Swimming meets this sesson in addition to their team's rec meets. At this writing, Miss M-mv(i) has regional cuts in the 50 free (LCM and SCY) and the 200 breaststroke (LCM and SCY), and she is .03 and .05 seconds off in the 100 breastroke and the 100 free (LCM), respectively. And Miss M-mv(ii) earned a regional time in the 200 backstroke (LCM). It's still uncertain whether the swimmers from our team will participate in the championship meets, but the Misses are pleased with their progress.

Movie recommendation
Joss Whedon's Much Ado about Nothing is worth the buzz and praise. All of us loved it!

Biking
We're enjoying one or two rides each weekend -- nine to thirteen miles each -- but with work, studies, swim practices and meets, and lessons (piano, violin, and guitar), we're having trouble squeezing family rides in during the week (although we hope to remedy that once summer swim season and its early morning practices conclude in three weeks).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which movie is this? Is this the one starring Kevin Branagh?

Thanks for your recommendation!

Mental multivitamin said...

No. It was just released this summer: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/film-review-much-ado-about-nothing--the-merry-wiles-of-joss-whedon-prove-promising-8658171.html

Girl Detective said...

My husband and I loved the new Much Ado, also. He commented "Sean Maher was MADE to play a Shakespeare villain." It spurred us to go back to Buffy, Season 1, and we're having a blast watching it.

I have not been in my bike saddle nearly as much as I'd like, but with 2 boys, 7 and 9, I think we're doing all right. We live at the top of a hill, so going places is easy but getting home is not, and my younger figured this out a while ago, and thus never wants to bike.

I liked this interview with the producer of Much Ado: http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/interview-with-kai-cole-producer-of-much-ado-about-nothing

Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter and I saw Wicked last November, and we agree--great show!

I'll have to check out Much Ado--thanks!