11.08.2012

Reading life review

Number of books since last review: 7
Number of books read in 2012: 125
Complete list here.

Teaching Hamlet and Henry IV, Part I (Peggy O'Brien) Non-fiction. Technically, this belongs in my September review, but I neglected to include it. Folger's "Shakespeare Set Free" series is a wonderful resource.
Each book includes:
• Clearly written essays by leading scholars to refresh teachers and challenge older students
• Effective and accessible techniques for teaching Shakespeare through performance and engaging students in Shakespeare's language and plays
• Day-by-day teaching strategies that successfully and energetically immerse students of every grade and skill level in the language and in the plays themselves—created, taught, and written by real teachers
The Essential Voter's Guide (TIME) Non-fiction. And technically, this belonged in my October review. It was so utterly forgettable, though, it's no wonder that I forgot it. What a disappointment! The slim volume is simply a collection of rather dated articles on the candidates, their families, and their campaigns. Discussion of the issues was superficial, at best. What were you thinking? you ask. Really? I was just hoping for a survey to complement some of our discussions.

Sweet Tooth Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitat (Jeff Lemire) Graphic fiction. This volume collects Issues 26 through 32.

Black Watch (Gregory Burke) Play.

The Birding Life: A Passion for Birds at Home and Afield (Larry Sheehan) Non-fiction. It would be easy to dismiss this as a coffee table book, what, with its large format and sumptuous photographs. 'glad I didn't make that mistake.

Watership Down (Richard Adams) Fiction. This was my third pass through this deceptively simply novel. As Sawyer says, ""Helluva book. It's about bunnies."

One for the Books (Joe Queenan) Non-fiction. The much linked and shared WSJ article "My 6,128 Favorite Books" (October 22) was adapted from One for the Books. Since books about books and the reading life are some of my favorites, this was a delight.

In progress:

Dracula (Bram Stoker; fiction) Completed Chapter 10 of 27. With the Misses. We'll be done by November 20, after which we'll tackle The Misanthrope (Molière), in anticipation of The School for Lies at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.

Moby-Dick (Herman Melville; fiction) Completed Chapter 4 of 135. The Misses and I are doing the Moby-Dick Big Read, a chapter a day, so we'll be on this into 2013. We're also enjoying Matt Kish's wonderful art book, Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page.

4 comments:

Carol in Oregon said...

I have been reading Moby Dick aloud to my husband. We were reading to see the SF Opera 'Moby Dick' which was an astounding production. I didn't care for the music as much as I loved the sets and designs. And, hey, it's a great story.

Acerebral said...

Hi I'm Angela and I've been reading your blog for over five years. I love all of the quotes and passages you share on your blog. In a way you've been a great influence and example to me, even though our reading interests are very different. I have read Shakespeare for fun before, for example, but I don't think my current mind would EVER go that direction now. I tell my daughter, who is 10, about the things your girls are doing and we like to imagine what it would be like if we were doing more of those things. Thanks for the link to "My 6,128 fave books." I can see from that why you like reading books about reading books.

Mental multivitamin said...

It *is* a great story, Carol!

Angela, I'm glad you enjoy your visits here. I have some pretty varied reading interests. Shakespeare, yes, but also graphic fiction and non-fiction, mysteries, YA novels, classics, etc. What do you enjoy reading?

Anonymous said...

Hey it's me Angela again.

Yes I have noticed your great interest in birds and thus ornithology reading, the various journal & magazine articles you read, and such an eclectic bookshelf! I don't read near the volume that you do. I have five children, four of whom are being homeschooled right now.

My reading pattern is classic lit, non-fiction/biography, YA or children lit, and then something just for fun. It's my way of staying well rounded.

I love Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander books, idealistic books such as Little Women, and right now I'm reading Jean Craighead George's Julie trilogy to the kids. North and South by Gaskall is my next book group read. I recently read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and loved it. My husband and I love Moby Dick. We listen to the recording and read it every few years.