1.30.2012

On the nightstand

The Crucible (Arthur Miller)
Play. Like so many of you, I first encountered this classic of American theater in high school. I then revisited it eight years ago, when my son was the same age as Miss M-mv(ii).

And now the Misses and I have read it.

We began with the 1996 film, for which Miller himself adapted his play, earning him the only Oscar nod of his career. Roger Ebert has little good to say about this adaptation, but I respectfully disagreed with him when I first saw it in 2004, and I continued to disagree with him as I watched last week. It is, quite simply, a powerful work well acted.

In the days that followed, we read and discussed the play itself, and I was reminded afresh what a privilege it is to lead this reading, thinking, learning life beside such thoughtful, articulate, and sensitive students.

A line for my chapbook: "I never said my wife were a witch, Mr. Hale; I only said she were reading books!"

Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners (Michael Erard)
Non-fiction. Just delivered today, this title first came to my attention via The Economist (December 31, 2011): "The gift of tongues." You'll find related articles here and here.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Susan Cain)
Non-fiction. Related entry here. A third of the way in, and I must say, I'm rather fascinated. More to follow.

Drawn In (Julia Rothman)
Non-fiction. Subtitled "A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists," this selection complements Artist's Journal Workshop (Cathy Johnson) from earlier this month.

4 comments:

Nina said...

"Quiet" is on my "to-read" list, though I haven't bought it yet. I've been following Susan Cain's blog for a while. I'm about a third of the way through "The Shallows." Did you ever finish that one?

Margaret WV said...

(I may have mentioned this website before, but here it is again.) For a look at the desks and workspaces of fine artists, illustrators, graphic designers, cartoonists, and others:

http://fromyourdesks.com/2011/07/29/amy-jean-porter/

I love reading about the process, the tools, the work ethic.

Mental multivitamin said...

Margaret, thank you for the link. The girls and I *love* spending time looking at the work spaces of artists and writers.

Nina, only about halfway through The Shallows. Carr would likely ascribe my distraction to my brain on the 'net. (*wry grin*)

DebD said...

I've been waiting for "Quiet" to come through my library system but I'm getting impatient. I may have to breakdown and buy a copy instead.