On the nightstand

The Social Animal (David Brooks)
Non-fiction. My reading goal in 2012 is a simple one: Read more non-fiction. The only problem with this goal is that I read non-fiction at a considerably slower pace than I read (consume, wolf down) fiction. Still, I've added this title to the pile. Related TED Talk here; review here.

The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains (Nicholas Carr)
Non-fiction. Ayup. Still working on this one. To repeat, Carr created a stir three and half years ago with the publication of the essay "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" (The Atlantic, July/August 2008; related M-mv entry here). Two links: NPR's "All Things Considered" on "'The Shallows': This Is Your Brain Online" and Carr's blog, Rough Type.

The Project (Brian Falkner)
YA fiction. Another solid effort from New Zealand author Brian Falkner (related entry here), this novel was inspired by his three-month residency at the University of Iowa's International Writing Program. He arrived in the region shortly after the flood of 2008, an event that informs The Project.

Wool (Hugh Howey)
Wool 2 (Hugh Howey)
Fiction. Yes, that's the iPad on the stack. I toted it this week's swim meet and enjoyed the first two slim novels (novellas?) of a reported five-book series. Aunt M-mv casually asked if I had read Wool, and two clicks, a few reviews, and the phrase "post-apocalyptic fiction" later, I had it loaded into my Kindle cloud. A compelling story, capable character development, and competent enough prose led me to Wool 2. I will treat myself to 3 and 4 later today or tomorrow, when I finish grading papers and making some progress toward my non-fiction goals.

Not pictured:
The Lost Art of Reading: Why Reading Matters in a Distracted Time (David L. Ulin)
Non-fiction. Still reading on the Kindle. See Ulin's essay of the same title (Los Angeles Times, August 9, 2009).

No comments: