11.17.2011

Recent acquisitions


❧ The Mountain and the Valley (Ernest Buckler)
Apparently, it's one of Paul Gross' favorite books: "A sadly overlooked, magical novel about the fragility of time and art."

❧ The Map of My Dead Pilots: The Dangerous Game of Flying in Alaska (Colleen Modor)
An entry at Melissa Wiley's blog led me to this Chasing Ray entry: "It is clear to me that this is going to be one reader at a time, one book sale at a time, one long year of trying to gain notice."

❧ P.G. Wodehouse: A Life in Letters (edited by Sophie Ratcliffe)
I blame Girl Detective; she sent me the link, after all: "Countless readers of Wodehouse have testified to the way his novels have their own 'stimulating effect' on morale, providing not just comic, but almost medicinal effects...."

5 comments:

A Circle of Quiet said...

LETTERS of WODEHOUSE? Be still my beating heart. Thank you for letting me know.

Di

Mental multivitamin said...

FYI: It seems to have only been released in the UK, so far, Di.

Jenny said...

And hopefully, if this link is correct, there are a few available in the US.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0091796342/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1321581463&sr=8-1&condition=all

~Jenny
a devoted and grateful reader of MMV

jlt said...

Thanks for the heads up on "Letters of Wodehouse." It is now on my wish list at Book Depository, which, unfortunately, does not yet carry it but will notify me when they do.

We love Wodehouse at our house and books of letters are always a favorite. Both together has got to be good.

A Circle of Quiet said...

Yes, I had a frantic few moments of online searching.

One more reason to wish I was in the UK:
http://www.songkick.com/artists/538282-hugh-laurie

DI