Reading life review: September

The Education of Little Tree (Forrest Carter)
Fiction. With the Misses. Much has been made of the author's reputation, which was uncovered after the novel had been embraced as a modern American classic. But I maintain that a work can rightfully be considered as something apart from its creator, and the Misses and I enjoyed the synchronicity / serendipity/ synthesis at work when we were able to compare Carter's employment of humor and the vernacular to that of the master -- Mark Twain. (Related entries here and here.) We loved this story.

Will I Ever Be Good Enough? (Karyl McBride)
Psychology. I saw this recommended elsewhere and after reading a review determined it might tie in neatly with previous reads, including Robert D. Hare's Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us (Robert D. Hare), which I read earlier this year, and Martha Stout's The Sociopath Next Door, which I wrote about here and here.

Romeo and Juliet (William Shakespeare)
Play, classic. A reread, in anticipation of our trip to the Chicago Shakespeare Theater (discussed here).

No comments: